Wednesday, April 24, 2013

This is Just the Frosting on the Cookie

It all started when I tried to start making my dad's birthday cake early. Because the frosting that goes on German chocolate cake is very finicky. And the stuff from the store tastes like caramel-scented soap. It's somewhat sudsy and most certainly artificial. Completely, unpalatably, 100% fake.

Usually I can make it work to some extent. The first time there were little pieces of egg yolk suspended in the frosting. The second time, it was beautiful, except that the top cake layer slid off the bottom one because the frosting was still hot. (Someone was in a hurry.) This was the third time. 

I guess it's my fault. I tried to adjust the recipe. And that recipe will not be adjusted. The Joy of Cooking knows best, after all. I should know that. But silly me getting uppity in the kitchen...

Anyway, it didn't work out. So, because I was doing this all a day ahead of time, I threw it all in the fridge (I don't like to waste. Especially not during Earth Week.) and decided to deal with it tomorrow. And that's today now. 

I knew it was at least possible to use cooked eggs in cookies because I saw it on a blog called Cupcake Project. Now, I know that she uses egg whites in those cookies, but, really, who stays with the recipe? (Oh wait, that's what started me on this path in the first place...)

In the end, I decided that adding back the egg whites, which I also saved from last night, to the dough would hopefully save them from being hopelessly dense.


Coconut Pecan "Frosting" Cookies
started by The Joy of Cooking
A flavorful, crunchy play off of the traditional frosting that accompanies German chocolate cake. They remind me a little of macaroons (not to be confused with the French macarons with which my friend Erin is obsessed) because of their low cookie to mix-in ratio.
Times:
  1. Cook base.
  2. Add remaining ingredients.
  3. Form cookies.
  4. Bake.
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 splash vanilla extract
  • 1 cup coconut flakes, dried and toasted (optional)
  • 1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted (optional)
  • 3 egg white
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Instructions:
1) Combine sugar, butter, milk, egg yolks, and vanilla extract in a small sauce pan. Place on stove over medium heat, stirring constantly until it thickens slightly. If the yolks poach in the liquid, simply transfer it all into a blender and pulse until no more solids remain. Stir in pecans and coconut. 

2) Allow to cool completely and transfer to a medium-large bowl. 


3) Stir in egg whites thoroughly before adding the flour. Mix until combined and the pecans and coconut are well-distributed. 



4) Place in mounded spoonfuls on a greased baking sheet (they won't spread out at all). Pack them together a little bit if you don't want them to have lots of edges.


5) Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment